Matthew Perry’s Autopsy: Overdose and Drowning

Matthew Perry’s Autopsy: Overdose and Drowning

So, there’s new info about Matthew Perry’s death. The autopsy report just dropped, and it shows he passed away because of “acute effects of ketamine” and drowning. This report, released by the Los Angeles Medical Examiner’s Office, says they found ketamine in his system, which is used to treat depression and anxiety.

Matthew Perry’s: What Happened Exactly?

Perry, the ‘Friends’ star, was found face down in his home pool in Pacific Palisades on October 28. The authorities ruled out foul play from the get-go. They said he was found unconscious in a jacuzzi by the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The autopsy says Perry was getting ketamine infusion therapy for his depression and anxiety. But get this—when they checked his blood after he died, the ketamine levels were crazy high. These levels could mess with your heart and breathing, leading to what happened.

Matthew Perry’s: Understanding Ketamine’s Deal

Ketamine isn’t just a medical thing; people also use it to get high. It can make you feel detached from your body and even make you see things that aren’t there. Perry had way more ketamine in his system than expected after his last therapy session, hinting he might’ve been using it recreationally or not as directed.

How It All Went Down

The autopsy summary says Perry’s assistant found him unresponsive in the pool when they got back home. The assistant acted fast, pulled him out of the water, and called 911. They think drowning contributed to his death, happening as he passed out.

What the Experts Say

Doctors are still trying to figure out if the ketamine levels found in Perry’s system could alone cause his death. Some experts think the super high levels suggest he might’ve been using it more than he should, even for fun outside of therapy.

Perry’s State Before He Died

Perry had been open about his past struggles with addiction. He talked about it a lot in his book that came out in November 2022. But before he died, reports say he hadn’t used drugs for 19 months. His ‘Friends’ co-star, Jennifer Aniston, said she was chatting with him that day. She said he seemed happy, healthy, and had even quit smoking.

What’s the Takeaway?

The sad passing of Matthew Perry’s shows how tricky mental health treatments can be. While ketamine can help, using it wrong or for fun can be really dangerous. Perry’s case is a tough reminder that we’ve got to be careful with these meds, especially when they’re not used as prescribed. This whole thing’s a stark reminder of the importance of handling these treatments with caution.